The Cory/ Cornell farm is the homestead of two important families, the Cory family who first purchased, owned and established the farm and the Cornells who added the Greek Revival wing in about 1842. The house and fields are surrounded by original stone wall and the contains its original well, a lye leaching stone and in the cellar under the Greek Revival addition is a 16-foot circular cistern.
Preliminary research indicates that this grandson, Thomas Cory, built or had built the original Georgian core of the property around 1780 or possibly slightly earlier. By June 20, 1796 when Cory made his will, parts of the house are described. The farm was left to his son, William Cory, with rights left to his daughter, Elizabeth.
The property largely retains a portion of its original acreage including the circa 1840 barn. The property was historically used for farming purposes.
Images in the "Anne W. Baker Collection," at Roger Williams University Libraries Archives (Bristol, Rhode Island) may be protected under copyright law. They may only be used for educational, teaching, and learning purposes. If intended use is beyond these purposes, it is the responsibility of the user to obtain the appropriate copyright permissions.
Baker, Anne W., "Cory House 001" (2021). Images. 194.